Humans have been providing dental care to each other for hundreds of years. Dental care can be traced back to ancient civilizations around the world. Dental health is one of the most important components of our overall well-being because through the mouth flows so much of what we do as human beings.
Dental professionals are dedicated to protecting the health of your mouth. Dental and oral health is always evolving due to advancements in technology, science, and medicine.
Today we’ll be covering some of those advancements and the different new technologies. Read on for some of the best dental statistics of 2022.
12 Telling Oral Health and Dental Statistics
- 95% of Americans regard their oral health as an important part of their well-being and overall health.
- When they do floss, many Americans do it in strange ways. According to a survey from the ADA, 61 percent of US respondents admit to using fingernails to remove food from between their teeth, while 40 percent say they’ve used cards or folded paper. Another 21 percent admit to using cutlery to clean between their teeth, while 21 percent say they’ve used safety pins or strands of hair. What’s more, 63 percent of respondents admit that they knew these makeshift flossing instruments could cause harm, and 42 percent admitted that they did, in fact, feel pain while using them.
- Roughly 64% of Americans have dental insurance. While 80% of Americans agree that dental treatments are important, it’s strange that so few have dental insurance.
- A study was done by the journal General Dentistry to show that soda can cause serious problems to your teeth. In fact, a diet made up of soda can cause as many problems like smoking or doing drugs.
- According to the ADAH (American Dental Hygienists’ Association), nearly 80% of Americans will have at least one cavity before they reach age 17. Additionally, nearly 80% of Americans have some level of gum disease.
- The Academy of General Dentistry shows studies of Americans brushing their teeth for only 45-70 seconds each day. This could be one of the reasons that there are so many problems in American dentistry. It’s recommended that you brush two times a day for 2 minutes.
- The ADAH also reports that almost all Americans use their toothbrushes much longer than they’re recommended for. If the bristles start falling out, are all bent over, and don’t clean your teeth nearly as well as they used to, then it might be a good idea to switch out that toothbrush for a new one.
- Only 60% of children playing fall and winter sportswear mouth guards. That means children are regularly exposing themselves to potential danger and harm.
- 40% of children younger than 3 have never been to the dentist. The ADA (American Dental Association) recommends that children visit the dentist as soon as their first teeth start to develop. Catching problems early is very important.
- 3 out of 4 or 75% of millennials only brush their teeth once a day. The ADA recommends that you brush at least two times a day and sometimes three if you know that you have an unhealthy diet of foods that are high in sugar.
- 42% of adults report visiting the dentist less than once every year. Visiting the dentist two times a year or every 6 months can help prevent any excessive damage to your mouth. Periodontal disease and cavities only get worse with time.
- 48% of adults are concerned about not having an attractive smile as they get older. Regular dental visits, dental care, and simple procedures can make you more confident in your smile.
Looking for a dentist that can help you get the smile you deserve? Look no further than Wayzata Dental! We’re here to provide pain-free laser dentistry that’s fast, affordable, and better than traditional dental practices in almost every instance. Why settle for painful and scary dentistry when you could have laser dentistry.
Learn more about laser dentistry on our website and reach out to us when you’re ready to make your first appointment. We can’t wait to hear from you!